Re: Measuring self-capacitance directly (Re: flat secondary)

Original poster: "Steve Greenfield by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alienrelics-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by
> way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
-snip-
> The turn-to-turn capacitance has a small effect only
> in a coil with many turns and a single layer.
> An example: Assume a turn to turn capacitance of
> 100 pF (quite big), and a coil with 1000 turns. You
> have
> then 1000 100 pF capacitors in series. The total
> capacitance would be then 100/1000 = 0.1 pF. The
> body
> capacitance of a typical coil is much larger.

I didn't know it added that way. That certainly makes
sense, then.

-snip-
> A meter using high-frequency signals
> could measure a capacitance, even with an inductance
> in parallel with it.

Hadn't thought of it that way.

Thank you for clearing that up. I appreciate it, this
will help me in my designs.

Steve Greenfield

_