Re: Measuring self-capacitance directly (Re: flat secondary)

Coil capacitance is a real problem to measure direct. The only way I know
how to do it is indirectly. I use copper tape and etched board  coils for
high frequency because the edge to edge capacitance of the turns is small
while the current carring cross section is high,providing high "Q". Round
wire should have common edge to edge and side to side capacitance so a
measuring plate on the side should be aproximitly the same measurement. If
measured on one side only away from the ground with a plate the same size as
the coil and no over-lap.
    Robert  H