RE: Of mammoth proportions

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hello Ben

In the x-ray tube application, 220 volts is connected to P1 and P2. One has
to keep in mind that an x-ray transformer is specifically designed for
transformer will apply 50kV at a current of 50mA across the x-ray tube. If
you were to apply 220 volts to the primary, with no load on the HV side, the
voltage developed could be much in excess of 50kV. The amount of excess
depends upon the quality of the transformer. One could use a sphere gap test
to determine the amount of primary voltage necessary to produce 50kV on the
high side. For the time being, I would apply no more than 180 volts to the
primary.

You must ballast the primary as your transformer is not current limited.
Without a ballast, the short circuit current on the high side could be
tremendous. Don't be fooled into thinking of your transformer as a 50kV,
50mA sort of NST.

Of the three leads on the single HV terminal, one supplies high voltage to
the x-ray tube cathode and the other two supply LV to the x-ray tube
filament. The LV for the filament rides the HV line. If you connect all
three of these leads together, you will short out a filament transformer
that is located inside the tank. Any terminal marked with an F has to do
with supplying the primary of a filament transformer.

I have not personally worked with x-ray transformers having only one HV
port. My experience is limited to those with two or more HV ports. I am only
guessing that there are two primary coils and two secondary coils. The
secondary coils must be connected in parallel with two common leads going to
the single HV terminal, and the other two common leads going to the tank.
Then the high voltage can be taken from the single HV terminal and the tank.

If you simply want a DC high voltage charging source, then you need to do
nothing more. Except you need to to know if the rectifier system uses
valve-tubes. Valve-tubes have filaments, so you will have to supply the
proper terminals to activate the filament transformers for the valve-tubes.
All filament transformers are inside the tank. If the rectifier system uses
diode sticks, then no filament transformers are involved in the rectifier
system. If you arc the transformer in the DC mode, you will destroy the
rectifier system.

If you want an AC high voltage source, you will have to remove the
transformer from the tank. The rectifier system and all filament
transformers will have to be removed. Do not cut any HV lead to the
transformer while modifying the transformer. Once the transformer is exposed
for close up study, it should be clear what you will have to do. If not, you
can always ask for help.

A transformer that is very similar to yours can be seen at
http://allencoilpage.home.att-dot-net. I am sure that Allen would be happy to
advise you about your transformer.

Godfrey Loudner