Re: Different MASS MOT's.

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Dear Gents,

It is true that MOT mass, core cross sectional area,
wire gauge, shunt size, etc., etc., all have important
bearing on transformer performance. However, let's
keep our eye on the goal here--we are trying to build
a hobby-grade HV power supply. That being the case, I
think it is more important to have a matched set of
MOTs than to fret over their size, weight, shape etc.
The reasons I suggested SHARP "Carousel" ovens is
because they have an electronic LED control/display
circuit board that tends to croak prematurely, leaving
the MOT and doubler components unharmed. These are
popular and inexpensive ovens that are not worth
repairing. Therefore, it is easy to find two or more
of them and garner an exact matched set of MOTs. These
MOTs put out around 2100-2200vac -at- 750ma. That's
plenty of juice and I don't care what they weigh. If
overheating becomes a problem due to low mass & skinny
wire, an oil bath is easy enough.

Best Regards,

Greg