Re: Grounding Problem???

Hi Ed,

Tesla list wrote:

<Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

> > > Malcolm,
> > > I have a similar sized secondary, 6" diameter with a winding length of
> > 27.6" using 22 guage wire.  I am using a .05 mfd cap with a 14, 400 volt
> > transformer running about 7 kva.  If I did the math correctly, the bang
size
> here is 11
> >joules.  This coil runs fine with a sync rotary at 240 bps.  If I try to
> > run it at 120 bps, I get a very intense and visible corona between
primary and
> > > secondary, with small sparks coming out of the middle of the secondary,
> > and it looks like it is ready to blow up.  In order to run at 120 bps,
I would
> > need to reduce my coupling to be safe.
> > >
> > > Ed Sonderman
>
> > Is that energy the same at the higher breakrate? Also, what size
> > terminal are you using?
> >
> > Regards,
> > malcolm
>
> Malcolm,
>
> Not sure if the energy is the same at 120 and 240 bps.  I would think the
5kva
> transformer could charge the .05 mfd cap to full voltage at either rate.
I use
> two toroids, the lower one is 6" x 33" with a 6" x 40" raise up above
that one.

> Ed Sonderman

Just FYI courtest JavaTC:

At 120bps the 5kva pig charges the 0.05uF cap to 97.8% Vp (9.9 joules). The cap
requires 10.37ms to fully charge and electrode alignment occurs every
8.333ms. The
%Vp is based on the charge rate curve which is why it's nearing 100%.

At 240bps, the cap charges to 83% Vp  (7.14 joules). Still requires 10.37ms
but now
electrodes align every 4.16ms.

There is higher energy at the lower bps (energy should not been the same
between the
two cases).

Take care,
Bart