Re: Stroke of brilliance?

No it is not complicated ! That is what a diode dose in a dc circuit.
Another way to do that is to put a bridge rectifier in the ac line to the
transformer secondary output with a SCR shorting the dc bridge
connections.When the SCR is triggered AC flows through the shorted bridge.
when the ac reaches "O" after the trigger the SCR opens the circuit. That is
how a solid state relay works.
  Robert  H