Re: Big Spark Induction Coil

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

Hi Finn, Antonio, Terry!

Thank you very much for your kind estimations of my efforts with
induction coils! Indeed, I'm also enjoying modern simulation tools,
which were not available in the earlier days of my studies, and I
admire, how they can deal with so big and stiff differential equation
systems (=orders of magnitude different time constants), as i.e. in the
simulation of a whole TC-system with power supply units. A nice example
to the above was delivered by a recent observation of Andi, with the
low-power interrupter and his inductor: he dicovered a very high peak
(in the usec range), when having long leads (several m) in the primary
circuit. We were able, to reproduce this behavior almost quantitatively,
in Microsim, by including a corresponding inductance in the schematics
circuit of his inductor. We speculate, if this behavior might have been
one of the causes of his failing power-IGBT's, by overvolting.
Of course, plugging together a simulation schematic is one thing, but as
you mention, matching the traces of the scope, meaning: to base the
models on experiments, the other one. And because the parameters of a
"sim" don't explain their relevance by themselves, at the other end
(than the experiment), the physico-mathematical theories of the system,
as i.e. created/treated and explained by Dr.Antonio, help to understand
the inner structure (even under simplifying assumptions).
In my own little "coiler's world", those scientific aspects mean an
enrichment, and might even stimulate interesting experimentation, rather
than diminishing the joy of empirical discovery, which I "think" is
feared by one or another member of Tesla-fans.

Cheers,
         Kurt