RE: Safety and footwear

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hello John

I have similar concerns regarding those playing with x-ray transformers. I
had a x-ray transformer running with no load, and the lights were off so I
could witness the corona at the ends of the x-ray cables. A flashlight was
used to look around. The potential was perhaps 125,000 volts between x-ray
cables and 75,000 volts from an x-ray cable to ground. A two foot arc
developed from the transformer tank to the metal frame of a rack, which in
turn arced about a foot to the end of an x-ray cable. I never thought that
such an event could happen with the given potential leaping over about 3
feet. The only theory I have is that free floating the secondary caused a
big ion cloud that allowed the 75,000 volts to flash over. The HV section of
the transformer consist of two coils. The bottom lead of one coil is
connected to the tank and bottom lead of the other coil is connected to a
terminal (mA) on top the tank. An mA metering outfit was once in place
across the tank and the mA terminal. I hard wired the mA terminal to the
ground terminal on the tank. Unfortunately, this makes the tank hot to
either x-ray terminal. I used to feel quite safe with a distance of five
feet between myself and the transformer. Now I stay about 10 feet from the
transformer. I'm think that I could have been substituted for the metal
rack. Now my concern has increased after reading your account of 12kV
leaping more than 15 feet. Do you think that I should put up a sort of
grounded Faraday cage between myself and my x-ray transformers?

Godfrey Loudner