IGTB questions

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi,

got some questions on IGBTs in SSTC direct primary drive:

- can the IGBTs be run at their ratings? I'd figure "yes" because if
everything is in resonance then the Vce<->Ic curve should always be
under/inside the SOA ??

- I read somewhere that IGBTs can be operated at much higher freqs
when switching at zero voltage crossings - true? would this mean that
a motor control & inverter IGBT would be suitable for 100-200kHz
SSTCs? (I got a particular, cheap, IGBT in mind - SGP30N60 30A 600V,
350ns turn off delay, 50ns turn on delay, ~60ns rise and fall times)

- the SGP30N60 has an includes an reverse diode inside, but there's no
note on how fast recovery it is... is there some "standard" type of
diodes used in IGBTs?

many thanks,
 - Jan

--