Re: Spark gap erosion resistance

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

I've been having the best success with tungsten-carbide spark gaps, but
last weekend I looked up W-C in my "machinery's handbook" and it says
of the most commonly available carbide insert formulations (C2 and C5):

type "C2" tungsten carbide is "usually" relatively pure tungsten-carbide
in a cobalt binder,

but type "C5" tungsten carbide is "usually" a mixure of tungsten-carbide and
titanium-carbide and tantalum-carbide, in a cobalt binder.

This got me a little worried, isn't tantalum a very poisonus metal, can
someone look this up please (is there a materials safety data sheet web
site that we can all bookmark?).

Thanks,
Peter Lawrence.

>Original poster: "Jonathan Peakall by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>