Re: RSGs

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Greg,

Sounds like a winner.

Some cheap angle grinders have some axial play in the drive shaft - not the
best bearings.  In my case, I have a horizontal rotor, and when the RPM got
high enough and the wind loading increased enough, the gears overcame the
force of gravity on the rotor and lifted it up, causing the rotating and
stationary electrodes to crash into each other and get bent up.  I had to
rig up an external bearing arrangement to keep the rotor from being able to
lift up.  You may need to do the same if you have axial play in your
grinder.

I would worry about an 11,000 RPM RSG!  If it were me, I would keep it below
5,000 RPM and use more electrodes.  The bigger diameter is a good idea, but
be sure to leave plenty of rim beyond the rotor electrodes and secure them
well to withstand the centrifugal forces.

If your supply is DC, then definitely the additional air blast will help
with quenching.  If it is AC, then probably the air movement from the rotor
will suffice.

--Steve