Re: Help! Suicidal Secondary

In a message dated 1/6/02 2:48:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Winston,

I think you are seeing the effect of a large bang size, in conjunction
with a high hold-off voltage (large toroid).  You may need to make the
secondary about 35" tall to get rid of the racing sparks.  This is why
I like tall coils for low BPS.  Low BPS is very efficient, but makes
the coil behave like a "larger coil" in a sense.   Using my 24" tall
secondary at 120 bps,  I used to start to see some racing sparks
when my streamers reached about 60" or so.  So the racing sparks
on your coil with the larger toroid is understandable.  Those xfmrs
make a nice system.  As a simple cure, you can make a separate
extension coil of the same diameter about 8" tall or so, and just
connect it on top of your existing secondary, and splice the wire.
Then retune the primary outward as needed to tune.  It should work
fine.

cheers,
John