Re: Output in joules

Hi Cory,

You sent it just right.  The list is moderated so post are delayed for
"approval" before being sent out to everyone.

For a typical disruptive coil the energy per each discharge is simply the
energy stored in the primary capacitor.  For my typical big coil, the 28nF
primary cap is charged to 21000 volts.

E = 1/2 C x V^2  ==  1/2 x 28e-9 x 21000 = 6.2 Joules per spark.

My coil fires 120 times per second so the power is 6.2 x 120 = 744 watts.

The coil is only say 60% efficient so only roughly 3 or 4 Joules makes it
to the actual streamer.  All typical disruptive coils go by the same
equations with only the capacitor size, primary firing voltage, and breaks
per second differing.  Most coils are around the 5 Joule per bang area.

If you want to get BIG, Bill's big model 13 may get to 70,000 volts at
160nF for an energy of almost 400 joules per bang!!  It can reach almost 60
feet of arc length!!

http://ttr-dot-com/model13m.html

Can crushers and quarter crushers dwarf Tesla coils reaching into the many
thousands of Joules.

http://www.aquila-dot-net/bert.hickman/frames/gallery/coins4.jpg

Apparently, the blasts from quarter crushers can dent military grade 6-4
titanium with copper fragments!!

Cheers,

	Terry