RE: Single vs Two Phase (was - Spark gap erosion resistance)

Hi John, all,

On 6 Jan 2002, at 16:54, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

> Richard -
>
> Ed is correct and the system is single phase not two phase. To understand
> electrical phasing you have to use vectors. The two phase 220 volt you are
> referring to would be zero volts not 220 volts. Note that the oposite vector
> "trough?" at 180 degrees is also at the oposite polarity and would be
> subtracting not adding to the voltage. Note also that the three vectors
> "hots?" are at 208 volts not 220 volts if the Y vectors are 120 volts and
> arranged correctly. You can check this out and a lot more by reading any
> electrical engineering book on AC circuits.
>
> In the past 15 years this subject has been discussed several times on the
> List and it appears coilers are still having trouble understanding the
> voltages and vectors involved with AC circuits.
>
> John Couture

Perhaps the best way of thinking about it is to consider the supply
220V single phase with reference to one of the two wires, or 110V, 2
phase if a centre-tap or neutral is referenced. I'm assuming that
neutral = centre-tap.

Regards,
malcolm