Re: FCC Regs

Hi Frank,

If you are far away from people that have radio's and other such electronic
stuff you have no worries.  Probably a single city block is far enough in any
case.  The only person I know to ever get into trouble with the FCC from a
Tesla coil was using it to jam his neighbor's radio music.  24 hours a day and
seven days a week he ran his little jammer till a local business called the FCC
to track him down which they finally did.  His was especially designed to
transmit so it was FAR more noisy than any typical coil in that he was broad
banding on an AM frequency.  However, even in that case, the signal probably
only made it 1/4 mile.  Since it was so "local", he was very easy to find when
they got to seriously looking.

 I don't think a well grounded and conventionally made coil will bother anyone
except possibly direct neighbors.  Tesla coils just are not good transmitters
at all.  The higher-frequency stuff from the spark gap is the real noise maker
but that interference is not that much different than many things.  Cable TV
and modern radio is pretty immune to interference in any case.

If you live next to a military base or an airport, they may be a bit more
"on-guard" for odd radio signals these days.  But in most practically any case,
one would really have to try very very hard to attract the Feds.

Cheers,

        Terry