Re: Suicidal Secondary--Solved!

Original poster: "J Whyte by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <xoom321-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Suicidal Secondary--Solved!
>Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:01:04 -0700
>
>Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>

>	Hi everybody!
>
>	Thanks to all who helped me out.  In a last ditch effort (short of a
>new coil) to get rid of racing sparks, I put a thick coat of epoxy on
>the secondary.  I just tested it, and it works great!  I cut a hole in a
>plastic trash can lid and slid it over my secondary so that it covered
>the primary.  This eliminated primary-secondary arcing.  I was able to
>lower the secondary an inch from its previous position.  My old coupling
>was around 0.12, and now it's 0.21!  With two copier xfmr's I had a few
>racing sparks, but with another epoxy coat, these should go away.  I had
>several measurable strikes to 5 feet, and streamers that were longer.  I
>hooked up my un ballasted MOT supply, blowing the rest of my diodes (but
>who cares ?!  :-)), and the coil put out two or three 5 footers at once,
>with a few single streamers to at least 6.5 feet!  I love it when these
>things work the way they're supposed to :-).  I can't wait to set this
>thing set up where I have more space.  Then I can open the gap some
>more.
>
>	Thanks again,
>		Winston K.

I am curious, are your photocopier xmfr's in series or parrallel
configuration? How many watts are you drawing from the XMFR's???
I am also curious about your MOT supply....how many MOT's are you using, and
in what sort of configuration?
JW