Re: MMC, Making Sure

>Original poster: "CJ Moore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><wizard1234-at-home-dot-com>
>
>My cap blew out, and I think I'm going to join the crowd and make an MMC.
>Everyone seems to agree that the Geek Group Caps are the best for the best
>price, so I was planning on going with those. The problem is, I need to
>have
>the caps by the 28th, so my question is, how long does it take to get them
>from the Group after you order?

Our old lead times were measured in months (usually 3 or 4), now we're in
weeks, down to 6 or 8, and with this order (that shipps from CD this week,
finally) we should clear out the entire backlog, getting it down to DAYS!

It took us a while to build up a stock, since the caps sell faster than we
can get them from the factory. I used the silly-season-slowdown (a week just
before Christmas where noone bought caps because they had to get presents :)
to get our inventory up as high as I could.

The post office decided to drop off my money orders a little late (they got
there Monday....I sent them on the 5th!) but I got confirmation from CD that
the caps will be shipping shortly. I'll have an exact date today and will
start making and addressing boxes this evening.

My first priority is to clear the backlogs. If all goes well we should have
~400 caps left in stock after clearing out the orders. At which point I'll
promptly put in the NEXT order.

>Also I was thinking of 8 caps per string and 2 strings for my system which
>is powered by 2 nsts in parallel, for a total of 9kv at 120ma. I am also
>using a stsg. I'm not sure if it matters but the secondary is 4.5 od with
>about 48 inches of winding using 22 awg wire heavy insulation. Are 8 x 2 a
>good setup for what I am doing.. can I go by with less.. etc.
>
>Finally, I have seen the use of resistors to (relatively) slowly drain the
>energy from the caps, what value should the resistors be?

1/4W 10Mohm

>Thanks,
>CJ
>
>P.S - I have a feeling I won't get the caps from the Geek Group fast
>enough,
>so does anyone have some extras they could sell to me? or even better, one
>already built that's similar to what I'm trying to do?

Actually, yes, I do. In the past, where someone needed MMCs on a deadline we
have offered a simple service. If you pay shipping, I will loan you one of
my large MMC arrays. I have them built to handle anywhere from 30 to 120mA
and in both of the major voltages (12 and 15kV), I have 2 of each. This is
only good if you're running an NST.

If you pay the shipping, you can use them to meet your deadline. If you doo
something stupid and fry them, you'd better start saving. But you'd have to
REALLY try to fry them, they *are* Geek Group MMCs after all :)

Let me know what your needs are and I'm sure the Group and find you a
suitable solution to fit your budget *and* your schedule. We've spent a long
time learning the ropes of MMC sales and things aren't as rough as they used
to be.

Any questions about MMC sales should be directed to my work email at
cboden-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org

And check out the site updates, we've been overhauling our website and a
lots changed! Check it out at www.thegeekgroup-dot-org. A lot of you newer
members to the Pupman list may not know much about the Group. Come check us
out, there's a reason why so many people on this list have signitures that
look like this...

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group