Re: First light?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/17/02 7:22:09 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>    Well, I've never built a Tesla coil before so this is kind of a big deal
> me. Using a tesla coil, I made sparks for the first time! Even though they
> were
> faint and only 3" long, I feel pretty good about it. Nowhere to go but up I
> guess. I suppose a little tuning is in order.
>
>    Just in case anyone is interested... I started of with a 15K 30ma NST. A
> spark gap that came from a plasma torch (unknown material). A six pack of
> rootbeer SWcaps still in six pack carrier. Then onto 13 turns of flat primary
>
> 8ga stranded well pump wire that I stripped clean of all plastic to make
> tuning
> a little simpler. I set all this up on my 4'x5' steel welding table. NST
> sitting on a piece of glass, primary mounted to a piece of 1/4" thick
> hardiboard, then the secondary sitting on the same piece centered on the
> primary. The windings on the secondary started about 1/2" or so higher than
> the
> primary. I drilled a 3/16" hole in the center of the board to allow the lower
>
> wire from the secondary to slip through and rest on the table top.
>
>    Any pointers? Anyone? Anyone?
>
>   Bob Bozarth

Bob,

Congratulations.  First sparks, now you are hooked.  What is the diameter and
winding length of your secondary?  You don't want your primary sitting too
close to the steel table.  I would raise it up at least 18" or more.  It will
rob lots of power from the primary.  For suggestions:  first make sure it is in
tune, have you done the math to make sure it is possible with the set up that
you have?  Do you have a toroid for the secondary?  If not, make a small one at
least.  Make a multiple copper tube style spark gap.  Buy some Geek Group caps
and make an MMC capacitor.

Have fun,

Ed Sonderman