From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: 19 January 2002 16:26
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: I just got to say one thing...

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Neil Richardson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <neil-at-opticalrealities-dot-com>

>HV Tickles. I have been tuning my coil, and just as my finger is 2" away
>from it, white sparks fire to my finger. It REALLY tickles! I don't feel a
>thing when my finger is at 1" from it, as a purple arc develops then, and
as
>you all know - its high frequency. I reckon its weird how the white sparks
>from the tesla coil only tickle, yet the white spark from the primary,
lower
>voltage side make you scream, jump, or convulse. I find that quite weird in
>a way.

Whooaaa   bad move...   dont touch the sparks ...  T Coiling is a
spectator sport ....

the reason you dont "feel" the secondary sparks is because it is at a hi
frequency...  our nerves arent designed to respond to such hi
frequencies ( as far as touch)  even tho you dont feel the damage going
on  ( like you would with 120V wall circuit stuff and such)   Damage is
occuring....

and as far as the sparks from the primary ... those are running at the
lower frequencies ( 60Hz) and our nerves are quite well adapted for
feeling and reacting to that range...

the voltages in the primary are DEADLY   they CAN kill ...    if one
experiments with the primary arcs and lived ,  they are 1 very lucky
person,  but with the odds against it, the luck wont last long at all....

if one feels compelled to interact with the streamers off of the
secondary, do some research and build a well grounded tip and well
insulated handled probe ( a long handled one at that) ...

remember ......    dont touch ...

Scot D