Re: TC quesions

In a message dated 1/20/02 2:43:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> How does a TC work and how does the secondary, primary, spark gaps, ect.
> work?
> How come you coulden't just wrap a sheet of metal around your pipe that you
> were using for your secondary?
> Thanks

To nameless person,

First you have a high voltage transformer which charges a capacitor.
When the capacitor is charged, the high voltage jumps across the
spark gap.  the spark gap completes a resonant circuit consisting
of the spark gap, the capacitor, and a primary coil.  Since the
circuit is resonant at a very high frequency, the energy quickly
oscillates within the circuit.  This alternating energy transfers to
the secondary coil via induction.  Since the energy is delivered in
the form of a burst of energy, it tends to die out gradually like a
bell does when you strike it.  As this energy declines, it transfers
to the secondary by induction as mentioned.  The primary has
few turns, the secondary has a great number of turns to give a
voltage step-up (it's a transformer actually).  So now we have this
high voltage, high frequency current at the top of the coil.  The
voltage is so high, it breaks down the air and forms spark streamers
which fly out from the coil's top terminal.  The capacitor is now
discharged, and begins to charge again from the high voltage
transformer, and the process repeats as long as the power is
applied.

Cheers,
John