Re: followup on Ballasting MOTs with water

You might also be getting small steam explosions... (also called bumping,
when heating a beaker or flask over a concentrated heat source).

 I note that the vaporizer in the kid's room heats the water with a pair of
carbon electrodes in water (to which one adds a small amount of salt to
increase the conductivity (and the power dissipated)).

I find that copper sulfate is the all around best salt to use for water
resistors, particularly for AC (the copper plates out on one half cycle,
then is reabsorbed on the other).  Table salt (sodium chloride) makes things
that are corrosive as it decomposes (sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and sodium
hydroxide) and seems to be really hard on electrodes and containers. (They
make bleach by hydrolyzing salt water) Others claim that Epsom salt
(Magnesium Sulfate) (do they mine the stuff near Epsom, or is in the natural
springs (like the vile tasting stuff in Bath), or did some famous Epsomite
identify the stuff, or what? Inquiring minds want to know) works well.   I
suspect that sulfates, in general, will be better than chlorides. Nitrates
might also work well. Carbonates aren't all that soluble, but I think you
want to stay away from halogens in general (Chlorides, Bromides, etc.) and
from the reactive metals (Sodium, Potassium, etc.)