RE: Grounding Problem???

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

A corona ring is a conductive toroid, designed to have a large radius of
curvature, to shape the e-field and prevent corona.  Coilers often use a
small diameter toroid at the top of their secondary to prevent corona
there, and use a larger toroid higher up as their main top load.  The
smaller toroid would be considered a corona ring.

The presumably plastic rings that you described are called creepage disks,
designed to increase the surface creepage distance along the secondary coil
and reduce the likelihood of racing sparks.  They have nothing to do with
corona.  A good example is illustrated at
http://home.mmcable-dot-com/surplus/newdevelopments.htm

Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "rheidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>