Re: Wire isolation.

Original poster: "Kamil by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tcmail-at-poczta.fm>

On 02-01-24 at 11:54 Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>Tesla list wrote:
>>
>> Original poster: "Kamil by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><tcmail-at-poczta.fm>
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Could You tell me how many volts can stand isolation of
>> enamelled wire (wire is 0.2mm diameter)?
>>
>> Kamil Kompa
>
>	Not enough information.  What is the insulation on the wire?  There are
>many types of varying thickness, all of which affect the insulation
>strength.
>
>Ed

I can't give you more information. I have got about 4kg of this wire,
but I don't know manufacturer to check data about isolation.
I think it's not any special (duble coated, etc.) wire, but common
wire used to wind low voltage low power transformers.
I have also Fe-Si 40cm^2 EI transformer core, and I want to
make new 2000VA power transformer. I don't have profesional
winding machine, so I don't make my transformers by winding
layers one on second (it needs too much precision to make it
good manually in sensible time). I make winding spool divided
on several sections arranged close by oneself, wind wire in this
sections and connect them serially. My old transformer made
such way was 11kV and worked realy nice.
Now it is burnt, but it was my mistake.
In my old transformer I used 0.4mm wire and there were 10
winding sections. Now I have 0.2mm wire, so i can contain
more turns of wire in the core window.
I want to make about 18kV transformer. The problem is that I don't know for how
many sections divide winding spool. In one section I can't have
more voltage rise than isolation on the wire can stand.
It will be helpful if you could tell me average voltage that enammeld
wire isolation (one layer) can stand. I can't measure this, because now
i don't have HV transformer.

Kamil Kompa