Re: High Power Solid State Tesla Coil - Successful Test

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Daniel McCauley by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

> Just finished all my "resisitive load" tests on my new high power solid
> state tesla coil driver and decided to go with a quick first time test with
> the primary connected.
>
> Damn, didn't have enough wire, but managed to get 10 turns of 10 AWG wire on
> the primary.
>
> Powered up the unit with 120VAC, half-rectified into the unit and nothing!
> Gotta tune it.  Turned the frequency adjust pot a
> few turns and then the thing came to life.  Really loud and nice white arcs
> approximately 15 inches long.  Not bad seeing the thing isn't tuned too well
> and haven't really played with the primary coupling or # turns etc...  Ran
> for 15 minutes (man lots of ozone!!!), and the FETs are actually COOL to the
> touch!!!!  Excellent.
>
> Now, put up my 120-240VAC transformer in the circuit.  Now i'm running
> 240VAC, half-rectified into the full bridge circuit.
> WOW!!!!!  The thing comes up and is super loud for a solid state coil.  Fat,
> white arcs with a low frequency cackling hum almost 30 INCHES LONG!!!!!!
> Look out conventional coils.  Ran again for 15 minutes (boy its getting hard
> to breath down here!) and the heatsinks are only slightly warm.  Well,
> tomorrow, we'll put the variac in the circuit and work up to 480 volts
> input, half-rectified.   Wish me luck.
>
> The most recent pictures and specifications of this new coil are at the
> following link:
>
> http://www.spacecatlighting-dot-com/teslacoil2.htm
>
> Dan

Wow Dan, thats one of the nicest designs and web pages I have ever
seen.  If your FETs are only getting warm, you've done a great job.  I
hope I can do as good a job of web presentation if I ever get my
Sheppard-Taylor driver running, but it is a highly experimental CW
design right now.

Right now I'm keeping a low profile for my Tesla stuff on my web page,
since its supposed to be in the June issue of IEEE Antennas and
Propagation Magazine.  They will be suprised to see Tesla stuff in
there.  But then Tesla did invent radio, according to the Supreme Court
:)

Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project