Re: TI UC2710 vs. Microchip TC4422 FET drivers

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Daniel McCauley by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

> I'm surprised you actually tried both as everyone in the industry knows the
> TC4421 and TC4422 are the work horses for FET drivers.
>
> However, be careful, as at high frequency (>300 kHz) your gate capacitance
> could draw some serious current and you'll have to cool these things.
>
> I use them to drive IXFN24N100 1000V FETs at around 270kHz and these things
> get smokin' hot.  Requires fan cooling.
>
> Dan

Hi Dan,

Thats news to me, obviously :)

Unitrode made the most prevalent advanced controllers for SMPS, then
they were bought by TI.  It was natural for me to look to them for a
driver.  If I had a choice, though, I would use IR.  Everything I have
ever used made by them has proven to be superior.  But right now, I
think they are mainly selling advanced ASICs and discretes.  I couln't
find any drivers on their web site.

Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project