Re: PLL-controlled SSTC?

Given the frequencies we are operating at (few hundred kHz), some sort of
DSP based loop might actually be the best approach.  Run the secondary base
current into a current transformer then a fast A/D, then implement the
tracking/filter/etc, and finally waveform generate the drive signals to the
FETs using the DSP (you could probably use the onchip PWM circuits).   Then,
putting in weird phase shift vs frequency curves and dynamic operating point
tracking, while non-trivial, is at least feasible, something you probably
can't do in straight analog circuitry.

You'd want some sort of "rock solid" FET driver that could take the CMOS/TTL
kinds of swings.  Maybe one of the PWM motor drive parts from IR?

Over the years I've built a variety of analog,digital, and hybrid motor
servo and stepper control loops.  At first, the analog PLL seems simplest,
but when you start adding a little circuit to deal with the noise from the
encoder, then another little circuit to handle the loop stability on
acceleration, then another little circuit to handle the switching transients
kicking back from the motor inductance, etc.etc.etc. all of a sudden you get
to a point where you say, I should have "bit the bullet" from the beginning
and just implemented something with enough "computational power" to do it
all.  At least, changing software doesn't require breadboarding, white wires
on PC boards, etc.

You could build the PC board ONCE. Given all the RFI/EMI/EMC issues with a
SSTC, you're going to need a PC board anyway.... random wired protoboards
just aren't going to hack it, and "deadbug" construction works ok(actually
great) for low level stuff, but when you handle serious power, you need
those big wide traces and attention to current paths..

So who's going to pioneer the "universal SSTC FET driver kit" business...