Re: Strike Rail question

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
> <mailto:twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <mailto:daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com><daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
>

> Why is the strike rail open-ended on a tesla coil???  Does it screw up the
> coupling of the primary/secondary if done this way? Also, how close to the
> primary should this thing be.  Can it just be one or two inches above it?
> Thanks Dan

Hi Dan...

if you have a complete "ring" near a primary, it will pick up the induced
magnetic field and begin to heat up with drastic results ( its called inductive
heating ...  in fact its a commonly used method to heat bearings before putting
them on almost too tight of a shaft) if the strike ring is "non complete ring
but the break is small ( les than an inch or so ) you will get sparking between
the ends of the strike rail.    I normally place the strike rail about 2 inches
wider than the last primary coil and about 3 inches above it ....and leave
about 3 inches gap between the ends.

Scot D