RE: Lexan (polycarbonate)

Original poster: "Vanderputten, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gvp-at-pvaintl-dot-com>

John,

When I first went to buy a secondary from the local plastic house they asked
if I wanted cast (Lucite) or extruded tubes, which they said were made from
lexan (and which were cheaper by more than half). Actually, I have no idea
what they're made of, they made the distinction. The extruded tubes were
almost perfect but had 'extrusion lines' or blurs in some places; hardly
noticeable, and irrelevant for its intended use as secondaries (and
primaries on very small coils). Due to the telescoping fit of various tube
sizes it is easy to assemble 'quick release' fully insulated bases for
secondary coils.  I use both tubular and flat stock plastic materials in all
my coils.

When I say brittle I mean when compared to wood, fiber based circuit board
materials, or the plastics used in chopping blocks. The latter cuts and
drills more easily than the other Plexiglas materials that I use (its just
not clear). I have seen no difference in workability in any clear Plexiglas
materials that I have used. All cuts and holes take practice as this stuff
is unforgiving and may chip or spall in the area being worked upon. However,
I have successfully (and carefully)  cut 4" Lexan(?) tubing on my chopper
with a regular blade with only minor chips. If I am really concerned I have
them cut tubes for a dollar a cut and its perfect. Flat stock I cut myself
with a proper table saw blade. For large holes, I have the dealer  laser it
and that is as expensive as it is precise.

Gary