RE: Strike rails/safety gaps IMPORTANT

Original poster: "Aron Koscho by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kc5uto-at-wt-dot-net>

Hi All,

I have made many, many coils with no protection what so ever and had no
problems. BUT at the 2000 Texas telsathon I did have an interesting kickback
experience. Justin and I had been running our new 12" coil for some time
with arcs in the 10' range at about 10kva. We had the whole nine yards with
us, power controller, pig, srsg, etc. The controller consisted of two 60a
240v contactors and an single 30a 520v variac as well as some other extras.
It can be seen here: www.hvguy-dot-com.

 The first contactor was closed using a front panel key switch; the second
would close only when the green "start" button was pushed. Dave Wightman,
who has a incredibly over driven 8" that arcs 11' had also brought along his
coil. It has no incorporated safety features. To save time and space in
Phils barn we decided to hook his coil to our control equipment and pig. The
first time we ran it Justin was at the controls and I was watching from such
and angle that I could see the back of the controller. I noticed a small
rf-looking arc inside but didn't think much of it as there was a lot of
light flickering around and I wasn't sure it was an arc. A few runs later
with me at the controls the key switch arced rather violently about 1.5" to
the side of the variac. The contactor opened immediately do to the lost of
instrumentation power. The key switch had caught on fire! It preceded to
melt off of the front panel and extinguished it's self. The key switch was
quickly replaced with a clip cord and our 12" coil was reconnected, there
where no other problems. This sort of thing seems to happen fairly often. We
have never experienced it with our coils but no many who have. Seems like
there are plenty of arguments both ways...

-Aron

kc5uto
www.hvguy-dot-com