Re: Strike rails/safety gaps IMPORTANT

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Strike rails/safety gaps IMPORTANT Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:17:05
>-0600
>
>Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>
>
>Hello all,
>

>I am SICK SICK SICK and tired of people saying "well, I don't use
>safety gaps and strike rails and have had no problems". You are playing
>Russian Roulette here. These devices don't only protect your equipment,
>they protect YOU!! Don't forget that a nice 200kV streamer makes a very
>nice conductive path for the output of your pole pig, or even the 240v
>mains! You DON'T want it getting into your control/power circuitry. The
>little effort in making a simple safety gap and strike rail are well
>worth the bother. These devices don't HAVE to look good. Fencing wire
>will do. I have included part of an old post from Richard Quick (A very
>successful old school coiler) below. I urge you all to read it:

Greg,

I now strongly see the point in having these protecion devices, the only
reason i didnt see the harm in not having them was that my coils are
considered "small" and only put out 2-3 foot arcs and run from lower powers,
and dont use such high powers as the story you posted.  I'll definitely have
to say that im wrong in thinking that these safety devices are not
necessary.

Steve Ward.