Re: Low Voltage Tesla Coils

Tesla list wrote:

> Hi Antonio,
>
> I ran some MicroSim models tonight trying to get a TC to run at 700VDC and
> I had BIG problems as you suspected...  The basic physics is saying that it
> is not going to work at 700VDC...  We probably have to use MOTs to get to a
> higher voltage to be able to use practical primary coils.  that suggests a
> voltage of about 3000 volts at least, so we have to do some stacking of
> "ordinary" IGBTs.  Still far better than 25kV of them, but the "off-line"
> idea seems doomed :-(((  Golly, that would have been so cool.....
>
> You inductance storage idea needs much further thought!!!!
>
> We may be able to use caps and diodes to pump the voltage higher but that
> only works so far before some type of "big iron" is needed.
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry

	Schematics of several of the big Marconi spark transmitters (circa
1910) showed the use of a cascade of two resonant transformers, with a
spark gap in the secondary of the first discharging a storage capacitor
into the primary of the second.  I've never seen a writeup on the
things, just schematics in the old books, and don't know why it was
done.  Perhaps a similar setup might work with TC's, and it wouldn't be
hard to simulate.  Terry?

Ed