Re: Why people don't use MOTs in a TC

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Ben McMillen by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>
> >
> > Hi Dan,
> >   If you run 6 - 8 in series (secondaries in series),
> > parallel the primaries, and immerse the whole mess in oil,
> > then you'll get near pole pig performance at a fraction of
> > the cost! (aka FREE!)
> >
> > I can't remember who, but someone here on the list has
> > successfully put up to 80  MOTs in series.. Before you
> > attempt this (if you decide to) make sure you do some
> > research on the setup.. a few of the MOTs have to be
> > slightly modified..
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> > Coiling in Pittsburgh
> > Ben McMillen
>
>         Every time I read about MOT's in series I keep wondering about
primary
> to secondary breakdown.  Don't see how this can be avoided, considering
> the construction.  Any other thoughts?

Several techniques are of use:
1) Sink it in oil... Assuming the sucker was good for 2.5 kV before, it's
now good for 7.5 kV, or so.  What sort of hipot testing do they do from
primary to core?
2) Various back to back cascades, using the MOT as an isolation transformer
(heavy, but it will work...)
3) A healthy dose of hoping..