Re: Natural streamer :)

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Ed,

The salad bowls are the somewhat shallower stainless ones that have a very
protruding rim(not benificial in any way!!).  I started off with a roll of
black HV rubber insulation tape, then added a roll of regular electrical
tape.  This worked OK but the more layers of tape you add, and the more
surface of the rim and around the rim, the better your sparks.  The best way
to check the insulation it to watch in the dark, if little sparks shoot out
of the tape, then add more as you wish.  My sphere can be adjusted to be
about 18" tall to about 24" tall (above the base).  When at 18" it will arc
down to the bolts that hold the base together, but at 24" i can pull some
really long sparks, sometimes to about 24".  Also note that when i add an
aditional 12" diameter SPHERE on top of the salad bowls, i can get about 20"
sparks but really thick, and they HURT!  They are enough to make the muscle
in my arm sore, and leave little welts on my skin that look like big
mosquito bites.  I really had a lot of fun with that project, but its summer
now and the VDG can only make a little 4" spark with all the humidity.  I
should also note that i use an air ionizer unit at the base to charge it.
IT works just fine without it but is more consistent with it.  Good luck if
you ever get around to those modifications.

Steve Ward.