Vacuum tube tank cap vs. transistor fast diode

Original poster: "Craig Fuller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cbfull-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I came across an electical engineer's website the other day which said that
you should always put a fast recovery diode across the primary in a flyback
circuit, to reduce the stress on the switching device (for single transistor
feedback circuits only, I think).  I have always wondered myself why people
have not been doing this.
Also, the vacuum tube coil circuits are not that different from the flyback
circuits, and I am hoping (when I can get a workshop) to get my VTTC working
with a fast diode instead of a tank cap.  Anyone have any experience with
this or already tried it?  It sure would be nice to do away with that
de-tuning problem in VTTC's whenever you put any kind of load on it(i.e.
drawing a spark).

_