Re: tesla coil on the truck

Original poster: "Matt Woody Meyer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <meyerml-at-stolaf.edu>

Wouldn't need to hook up any neon lights under the car if this worked...
just let the electric field power them. :)

My younger brother has done that to his car... funny running the coil and
seeing his car come to life over 8 feet away from the coil. :)

In all honesty, I don't think this would be a safe idea.  There are a lot
of electronics in and around the car that would be subjected to the
electromagnetic fields around the coil and could be badly damaged.  Also,
you've got a gas tank in close proximity to the coil... one arc to the
right place and kablammo, there goes your truck, your coil, and possibly
you.

Another concern that I'd have is the environment that you'd subject the
coil to... most secondary coils are naturally topheavy (caused by the
toroid) and could easily topple if subjected to accellerations caused not
only by the forces you'd put on it driving (gas, brake, turning), but also
by the wind as you're driving.

Lastly, in an accident, even with the coil not running, you've got a lot
of heavy duty stuff back there that won't be (I'd assume) bolted down to
the car... would not be good to have large and heavy transformers turn
into missiles if the car gets hit.

Neat idea, but personally (and maybe I'm just being the devil's advocate*)
I would advise against it.

><>Matt

__
* Though I say "Devil's advocate", I fall under the "Christian Coiler"
group... hence the fish by my signature. :)

Matt "Woody" Meyer                  St. Olaf College Physics Major

<quote who="Tesla list">