Re: AboutSalts

Original poster: "Laurence Davis by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <meknar-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I was bored last night and tried "burning" salt and other stuff
with just a 15kv nst.  (cos i couldn't get salt to 'ignite' on my coil)
it was sort of orangish yellow.  plus other stuff like sugar and baking
soda. if i had epsom salts i'd use that too. (having the urge to run to the
store :)  I would guess the arc contains enough heat to burn the salts; just
like tossing it in a fire or blow torch.

i basically put one wire in a pile of salt and the other hv lead above it.
it took a little while to get them close enough to arc.  before they arced,
the corona made the salt 'bounce' out of the container all over my table.

tried to 'burn' water. sounds funny doesn't it?  ok it didn't work.  i
thought it'd be neat to see an arc through the water.  when that didn't
work... i tried one electrode in the water and one above, and before it
arced, the corona caused the water to 'dimple.'  as if the HV lead out of
the water was 'pushing' on the water.

my two cents. (okay a bit more than 2. :)

larry d.