Re: MOTs & Thoughts

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

The simple solution would be to test a transformer before and after you
remove the shunts.  All the discussions on using MOT trannys for VTTCs
have recommended removing the shunts before applying them.

I think the opposite would be the case -- that after you remove the
shunts, the unloaded current would drop.  I was under the impression
that the shunts were designed to limit power output by providing an
alternate path for the magnetic flux, thereby diverting it from the
secondary windings.  I would expect that removing them would
functionally convert the MOT to a potential transformer.  After all,
most transformers can accept their rated input voltage unloaded without
self destruction.

Dave
G2-1170