Re: Gemini Tesla Magnifier

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Teslamagnifier-at-aol-dot-com>

input for potential xformer is 120 v.  I have three of these babies, so may
eventually gang them up.  the 15 gal drum is about 14 " in diameter.  I cut
8+ inch holes in the top and bottom to accomodate the inner 8" coil.  Took
pictures this AM and tommorrow might be able to scan them--unless digital
camera gets back from repair.  Was having a real problem with current
limiting, I have 3 277 to 120 v isolation transformers.  The PT is inseries
with one of them.  The secondary of the iso transformer is fed into the
primary of a second iso transformer....and Its secondary goes into the
primary of a Third iso transformer, and ITS output is shorted by a variac:
one fixed terminal and the sweeping terminal.  I know this is heavy and
insane.  I just kept chaining the iso transformers together trying to limit
the voltage, and decided to risk the variac when I ran out of isolation
transformers.  Will eliminate the middle transformers and go from the first
iso xfrmr to the variac.  (w!
as trying not to burn out expensive stuff)
NOW...I just cranked all this up last night and did now watch a TV for RF
interference..will do that soon.  BUT other than the domestic ground for
the control circuits/relays/corcoms/  THere is no Ground to the HV!! the RF
HV "floats"  Each lead from the secondary WANTS to arc to ground, as I
found out befor elevating the supply cables to the twin  tertiaries which
sit on a couple of stacked plastic patio chairs.  BTW the ends of the
tertiaries really arent sealed.  they just have several of thoses quart
deli plastic containers jammed in the ends.  Its an easy way to elevate the
toroids.
Thanks for the email and will get more specifics later.  Overall the system
seems really forgiving.  Big sparks without any meticulous tuning--I not
even sure HOW to tune it!!!
Winchandle-at-aol-dot-com
Bill Shepard
Near Philadelphia