RE: Overpower the line filter ?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Drawing excessive current through a filter is not the only way to toast it.
 I also blew a 30A Corcom filter powering a 15/60 NST.  On closer analysis,
I determined that the forwards/backwards orientation of the filter is
critical, and I had it wrong.  The filter did not toast from over current,
it toasted as a result of high voltage transients being applied across its
internal caps, destroying the cap, not the inductor.  See
http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/emifilter.htm for full details.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I blew up a 40 amp Corcom filter using only two
15/30's. Mine was potted, so I doubt you'd get a real
explosion. It can be seen at:

http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/adam/disasters.htm

Adam