Re: BetterCapacitors

Terry: Salt water and mmc have real advantages. My students and I use
stack/roll capacitors. We use 4 Mill flat bag stock 2 x 4= 8 Mill  and 6
wrap thick for 48 Mill total around 10" Al flashing cut into plates and
connected with 1" Al straps and POP rivets. With 3 gal mineral oil the total
cost runs about  $130 total in smaller cost units so students can build them
in stages. They take time to build, but they have real current punch and
don't have all the failier problems. They are 4 parallel units with 4 straps
each total 16 x 1" straps so a few hundred amps is no problem to power even
a poorly tuned TC to give light at first try  with a real bang.
   Robert  H