SSTC newbie

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All,

   Well, after some bad luck with the VTTC frontier, I'm looking at
building a solid state coil.

  I'm wanting to use it on 120v, with selectable half wave, full wave, and
smoothed DC input. For this, the IRF740's should work well.  I'm hitting up
SSTC sites and building a parts list.  With my O scope, and some other
home-made tools, I should be able to get the control circuitry running
pretty reliably.  My questions,

    Is it a necessity to use 2 separate gate transformers, or can I wind
them both on the same core?  I have a very nice ferrite core transformer
that has plenty of room once I remove the old windings from the bobbin.  Is
the gate transformer simply a 1:1 isolation transformer (what it looks to
be in most of the coils I've seen)?

    So begins the wallet-draining venture into SSTC's....I'll get the tiny
boxes ready for the MOFSET's funerals...some of them will probably be
cremated on the spot and their ashes scattered with canned air ;)
Any of the veteran SSTC'ers that want to help are more than welcome to
contact me off-list.  Thanks All!
  Shad  G5-1203

Shad (Sundog)
G-5 #1203
"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"