Re: SSTC As a transmitter.

Original poster: "Gary Peterson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <glpeterson-at-tfcbooks-dot-com>

> > On top of all of that, the
> > resonant frequency is a function of the capacitance loading on the
> > secondary, which in turn is a function of the "conducting layer" which
> > Tesla proposed to use for one leg of his transmission circuits.  That
> > height varies by as much as 2:1 from day to night, and under differing
> > solar flux.  Since Tesla was intimately familiar with the application of
> > resonance, it's puzzling that he never mentions the tuning problem in
> > any of his publications.

>        As for his not mentioning the resonance problem, since the devices
> mentioned in the patents 645,576, 649,621, and 1,119,732 were never
> constructed and operated, Tesla was not aware that there was a
> question with atmospheric behavior to be answered.

Actually he did address the tuning issue in a round-about way in the article
"Tesla's New Discovery" (see www.tfcbooks-dot-com/writings/discover.htm).  And
by the way, the electrical capacity of a conducting body does increase with
elevation.  Tesla arrived at this conclusion by constructing and operating
the devices mentioned in U.S. Patent Nos. 645,576, 649,621, and 1,119,732.

Here is another Tesla quote from 1905, a little bit early, but subsequent to
1903 when he finally admitted to Morgan that his original design for the
Wardenclyffe plant was fatally flawed.

    "That electrical energy can be economically transmitted without wires to
any terrestrial distance, I have unmistakably established in numerous
observations, experiments and measurements, qualitative and quantitative.
These have demonstrated that it is practicable to distribute power from a
central plant in unlimited amounts, with a loss not exceeding a small
fraction of one per cent, in the transmission, even to the greatest
distance, twelve thousand miles--to the opposite end of the globe. . . .
Whatever the future may bring, the universal application of these principles
is fully assured. . . . In yielding this knowledge, nature has revealed one
of its most precious secrets, of inestimable consequence to man.  So
astounding are the facts in this connection, that it would seem as though
the Creator, himself, had electrically designed this planet just for the
purpose of enabling us to achieve wonders which . . . could not have been
conceived by the wildest imagination. . . .  It is not a dream, it is a
simple feat of scientific electrical engineering. . . ."

Gary