Re: SSTC newbie

Original poster: "Sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Very impressive coils, very neat layout!

  What surprises me is that these look almost exactly like a VTTC running
on a voltage doubled MOT!

   The only differences, the SSTC sounds more raspy.  The VTTC has a steady
hummm to it, and the SSTC has a definite 60hz "pop" while it's running.  I
attribute that to the sharper switching times vs a tube coil (the grid
voltage in a tube coil rises comparatively slowly as the primary charges
it).  Higher power levels on a VTTC using a doubler get that raspy pop,
because there's more current available to charge the grid cap, and it pops
the tube off quicker.

   The sparks look very close.  The SSTC's sparks move around a lot more
than the VTTC's tend to.  Arcs to a grounded rod look very different
though.  My VTTC's arcs to a grounded object look like an NST's arc on the
dual 833A setup, and the Quad 833's arcs looked like they were pulled from
a polepig.  Thick, yellow, and snake-like.

   I'm going to buy probably 16 MOFSETS, and run 8 total (unless I get
adventurous, a twin SSTC?)

   Looking around my junkbox, I noticed a large 5V power supply from an
ancient server.  It has superb filtering, but more importantly, 2 largeish
ferrite core transformers, 1 small ferrite core transformer (square cores
and bobbins), and 4 toroidal transformers, 1 large, 1 medium, 2
small.  I'll pull it part later and put them all on the O scope and signal
generator to see how and where they operate.  I can't see any worthwhile
MOFSETS in there, but there are some pretty impressive LV power
transistors.  Scavenging time!

Shad G5-1203