Overvolt solutions wanted

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

Hi all,
I think I have my 3 NST powered coil running at about peak output now
but I do have one problem.
The only way I can get it to breakout on its own with both torroids is
to really open up the main gap to about .325 ish. The problem is that
with it opened that wide I can only get it to jump the gap if I crank up
the variac all the way and THEN plug it in. I am assuming this is
causing a sudden surge to the NST's and that is enough to get it to jump
the large gap. Once it goes, it keeps jumping, and baby look out!! I
actually noticed myself backing off while watching it today and I was a
good 15 feet away. It had to be throwing nearly four foot arcs wildly
everywhere. It was quite a show really, but yet I am not too keen on the
"plug it in and its crankin" technique.
Any ideas on a solution to this?

Thanks,
Jim Layton