RE: MMC resister problem

Hi Gary,

Lead inductance and the high frequency resonances could have a lot to do
with it.  This would be especially true when the gap first fires and we get
those giant tens of MHz spikes.  One would have to use a higher order model
for the caps and then put in stray inductances and capacitances and then
simulate the true currents going into it.  I would guess it is "messy"
then.  Leakage currents would also be a problems especially if the higher
frequencies are considered.

The caps may see the same current but they certainly do not see the same
voltage with respect to ground.  The center caps tend to see near ground
level voltages while the outside caps see voltages like 10kV above ground.
It is possible that corona (a diode affect to a point) is unbalancing the
end caps through corona leakage.  It all can really get very complex.  The
simple resistors seems to fix everything.

Cheers,

	Terry