GU10A Coil... We have all the parts!

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All!

   Well, it's taken time, but I have all the parts I need to begin
constructing the GU10A coil.  For the primary, I'm going to use 6AWG THHN
on a PVC former and just let it get hot.  The tradeoff between size and
ease of tuning wasn't worth it using copper tubing. I'll still probably add
a tapped inductor below the coil for fine-tuning.

   Plate supply will be the pole-pig, ballasted down to 4kW for initial
testing.  I'll run it into a FWR, with the negative lead shorted to ground
(woohoo!!)  Current on the negative lead should be porportionate to current
on the positive leg.  I'll be wasting half the energy, but no matter.  The
fullwave rectifier is made of 1kv3A diodes, 40 in series for each leg.  It
should stand up to the dead short on the negative side without a problem.

Secondary...I'll use my existing 4" secondary for now.

  Grid leak resistor - 75w 5kohm - 2.5nf grid cap

Tank cap - 10kv Mica transmitting cap (puppy handles mondo current at high
frequency)

So it's down to getting motivated and getting it done.  Hmph. As exciting
as it sounds, I'm pretty burned out on TC'ing, so it's a bit of a chore
actually.  Anybody close to Clearwater feel like spending a weekend late
this month getting this thing assembled with me?

Gotta go, need to get to the airport.
         Shad G3-1203

Shad (Sundog)
G-3 #1203
"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"