Re: Reducing toroid size

In a message dated 6/9/02 7:20:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Yes, you'll have to move the tap position with the smaller toroid
to keep it in tune.  I mentioned that in my prior email.  Is there
some reason you don't want to do that?  Usually the toroid size
is not used to tune the coil.  Rather the primary tap position is
used to tune to coil, dependant on the toroid size.  Old-days coils
didn't use a toroid at all, but they gave shorter sparks, but they
were still tuned properly.  did you retune the primary when you
used the smaller toroids?  Did any of the small toroids have
the correct toroid shape i.e. a large radius of curvature?

What I really think is happening on your coil, is that the gap
is power arcing when you use too few primary turns.  It may
help to blow some air from a fan across the gap to cool/quench
it.  Just guessing.

Cheers,
John