Re: motor mod query

In a message dated 6/10/02 11:16:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi all,
> I am in the process of modifying my 1750 rpm motor to hit 1800 rpm and
> hopefully that will solve my surging issue. I was reading in the text
> where it refers to the electrodes being placed correctly so they will
> fire at “peak AC current waveform”. I am assuming this means align the
> electrodes to newly machined “flats” in some
> fashion, but it does not elaborate on what that orientation would be.
> Does anyone know for sure what they are referring to? Should they be
> with the flats, 90 deg from them, or what?

Jim,

the electrodes are oriented properly (phased) after the project is
built.  There are basically 4 ways to phase things up.  1) Rotate
the rotory disc relative to the motor shaft by trial and error until you're
in phase and get the best output sparks,  2)  Rotate the motor
in its cradle for best sparks (this is a popular method),  3) Build
an arm that moves the fixed electrodes concentricly to the rotor
to shift the phase (this can be tricky).  4)  Build the electrical
phase shifter circuit which can be seen at my website.

  http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

The amount of needed phase shift depends on the coil, so
this is why it needs to be done in a trial and error manner,
or in real time as the coil is running.

cheers,
JOhn