Re: CURSE Primary/ Grounded-centre or grounded edge?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

>Hello Scot
>
>I use to have access to some kind of big roller press. By successively
>decreasing the distance between the rollers, a penny could be flattened to a
>large disc. If the penny was rolled too thin, cracks would appear. Do you
>think that copper ribbon wire could be rolled in the same fashion from round
>copper wire? Maybe heating the wire before rolling would improve the
>procedure.
>
>Godfrey Loudner

Hi Godfrey...

I tried to make copper "ribbon" from 3/8" Cu. soft pipe. I made a roller
press ( from scratch , I have access to a wonderful machine shop at
work)  the problem I incurred was that the rollers were not completely
paralell. Thus the copper tube mashed completely flat ( which was good)
but since there was a slight bit of "unparallelism" ( .003" difference
between ends of the rollers) the flattened tube had a tendency to "curl"
into a spiral. I even tried to rerun the flattened tube back thru the
roller press in the opposite direction to "reverse" the spiraling
effect, but all that did was shorten my patience.  Sooo  I ended up
using the flattened tubing in my RF ground system ..........

Some portions of the mashed tubing were straight but it became work
hardened and "springy" thus making it difficult to shape easily for a
primary coil application.

Sooo...  I guess a search and rescue is in line for some annealed Cu.
ribbon...

Scot D