Re: Soldering Litz wire

Original poster: "Ray von Postel by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vonpostel-at-prodigy-dot-net>

Gary:

For what it is worth:

 From "Electronics Manual for Radio Engineers" McGraw-Hill 1949
The reference gives three methods for soldering Litz. wire only one of which
worked well enough to use.

1. Burn the the silk off by briefly brushing with a flame.
2. Wipe off the residue with a rag
3. Apply a small amount of paste made with zinc chloride and water to the
   coil end.
4. Heat with a soldering iron and immediately tin with rosin-core solder
while
   the resulting mixture of zinc chloride and enamel is still boiling.
5. Wipe off the remaining zinc chloride, enamel, and rosin while still hot
    using a damp rag.

The author stated that 300 connections made that way were going strong,
without
failure, two years later.

Hope this helps
Ray